Saturday, June 12, 2010

Days 11-13 in Greeley, Colorado

So the host hotel I'm staying in doesn't have the greatest internet connection which is why I haven't blogged in here for a couple days. So let's recap...

Day 11 - Left Denver for Greeley
This day I really just drove to Greeley and painted fields. The volunteers were great and we got done painting 24 fields in a matter for 3 hours which is incredible because that also includes taking the necessary items out of the truck, putting everything together, and clean up. Next up was checking into the host hotel. I must attract broken toilets or something because mine didn't work in this hotel. So I had to switch rooms.

Day 12 - Greeley
This day we got everything set up before the storm hit Greeley. Jif and Juicy Juice are two of our national sponsors. We're supposed to get shipments of them every Friday so that we have them and are ready for the tournament. Well neither of them arrived and our sponsorship lady decided to have her phone turned off while she was at a wedding so we had some serious phone calls to make. We finally got a hold of someone who knew their purpose in life (aka to serve me) and I received the lovely honor of driving to the trucking company's shipment location and pick up the Juicy Juice. This occurred during check in so I missed most of it which wasn't the end of the world. We have plenty of help. After check in and picking up the Juicy Juice, the staff (about 9 of us total since this tournament is pretty local, big, and Shan isn't here) went out to Old Chicago for some dinner and social time. When we got back to the hotel, I went into my room to find out that one of my windows was broken. Like honestly, it looked like a crack in a windshield. Low and behold, it was raining for the last 2 hours so my room/clothes/suitcase was drenched. Sweet host hotel we found. However, our ref assigner decided to drive up to Greeley from Denver at about 10:00 last night for who knows what reason. The tournament didn't even start till 9 which meant he wouldn't have to be to the tournament site till 8:30 which also meant he didn't have to leave his house in Denver till about 7:20 in the morning. Anyways, apparently he thinks he trumps me so I got another lovely honor of moving rooms once again. This time it was in to Hilary's room (my event director for this weekend) so it wasn't all too bad. Except the two locks on her door are broke. Yep, I feel rreeeeeaaaaalllll safe in this hotel. Thank god we're only staying here till Saturday night.

Day 13- Rainy in Greeley
So today we had a wonderful alarm clock wake up call at 5AM. I just love those. Not. We had to be to the fields by 5:45 but had some stops to make on the way. When we got there, the rain started and it was freezing. I'm talking like people had on their winter coats; I had on winter gloves. Remind you it's JUNE and I have on winter gloves. I couldn't tell you the last time that occurred. It is now 4:25 and the rain finally let up. We played through the morning session. (We scheduled in a 2 hour break for the World Cup game. Prior to the break, we were given the OK by the City to go ahead and keep playing after the break. When we returned from the break, it began down pouring. As in not a single part of my body was dry. Then the City came back and said we couldn't play on the fields any longer. So the afternoon session is canceled which means we get to re-bracket and re-schedule everything tonight for tomorrow morning. This will be pretty interesting to do given the fact that we couldn't read half the score cards because they were too wet and none of the team's contact people thought it was a good idea to return our phone calls to let us know who won and what the score was. Like I said.... tonight will be interesting. Oh and this Dan guy (the ref assigner who thinks he is high and mighty,) is ridiculous. Every 15 minutes there was someone up at headquarters complaining that they didn't have a ref. For 4 hours straight. And of course he is nowhere to be found. Let me know you... I love my job. =] Now I'm off to shower and FINALLY get dry and warm and hopefully not get sick. More updates on the spectacular Greeley tournament tomorrow!

P.S. We met the man who owns all the McDonald's in Greeley. That man = MONEY. Good thing we were uber nice to him before we even knew that.

- Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment